Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Elections 2018: Fear and Awami League leaders

In the most recent post, this Blog started to write about the results of 14 focus groups undertaken by Democracy International which the organisation, along with its funders UKAid and USAID, have sought to keep confidential

One of the most fascinating questions asked in the focus groups, concerning freedom of speech, was the following:
 "If an AL leader was in the room with us right now, what would you say to him or her?
The report found that:
 "Participants in all divisions said they would be unlikely to say anything to an AL leader, given the opportunity." 
It stated:
"In one of the most riveting exercises of the groups, at the very end, the moderator asked participants what they would say to a leader of AL and a leader of BNP, if they were sitting in the room. Participants in all divisions, men and women, urban and rural (though more urban than rural) said they would not even consider doing so to a leader of the ruling party, out of fear of retribution. A few offered policy suggestions or mild criticism but most would not." 
The report provides the following quotes - which are quite extraordinary - shows the level of fear which is currently part of the country's political culture:
"If I said anything to an AL leader, I would lose my job the next day." (Sylhet semi-urban woman, over 35, more than 12th grade
"We are afraid to talk to them. So it’s better to not." (Rajshahi semi-urban woman, under 35, more than 12th grade
"Cases are filed against people who talk to them." (Rajshahi semi-urban woman, under 35, more than 12th grade)

"I will ask them to not beat me up." (Rajshahi urban man, over 35, 12th grade or less)

"I don't know what I'd say. I'd be scared. (Sylhet urban man, under 35, 12th grade or less
I will not talk out of fear of harassment." (Sylhet urban man, under 35, 12th grade or less)

"I would not be able to say anything. I would be in trouble if I did as we don’t have freedom of speech." (Barishal urban man, under 35, more than 12th grade)

"I would be in jail for seven years and would have to pay BDT 7000 in fines. Why would I tell them anything?" (Barishal urban man, under 35, more than 12th grade)
"I would not trust them even if they assured me they wouldn’t do anything." (Barishal urban man, under 35, more than 12th grade)

"I will not talk as I am scared for my life. I have a baby and for security I will not say anything to him." (Chattogram urban man, over 35, more than 12th grade)

"I will not talk out of fear." (Chattogram semi-urban woman, under 35, 12th grade or less)

"I wouldn’t say anything and sit quietly." (Chattogram semi-urban woman, under 35, 12th grade or less)

"Everyone will be silent." (Dhaka woman, under 35, 12th grade or less)

"I will talk if no league leader, police or student league member is there." (Chattogram urban man, over 35, more than 12th grade)

"We would say nothing." (Rangpur rural man, over 35, more than 12th grade)

"I could not speak independently." (Rangpur rural man, over 35, more than 12th grade)

"I wouldn’t come." (Barishal semi-urban woman, over 35, less than 12th grade)

No comments:

Post a Comment